Monday, September 25, 2006

Drive-in Movies

(I think I am an article behind, so here is my "catch-up".)

Time talks about a strange, revitalized movement going on in the U.S.: Drive-in Movie Theaters.

The number is actually going up (after years of going down). Fueled by a blast of nostalgia, vintage theaters and drive-in sets are being remodeled and reused. The number is now at 658, compared to fewer than 500 back in 1995 (drive-ins started in 1933 by a New Jersey salesman).

Websites like drive-in.net and driveintheater.com are helping keep fans informed of where you can pull your car up to the screen.

A new generation is even taking up the reigns with their armament of modern technology. With DVD players, Digital projectors, iPods, FM Transmitters, etc. guerilla drive-ins are appearing. They literally drive in their equipment somewhere and begin showing a movie on a wall or sheet. People go to them by word of mouth. To get started, you can have your very own guerrilla "mobile movie" drive-in: mobmov.org.

I remember going to a couple of Drive-ins. They were nice; like stepping into a time machine to "back in the day". You really go for the atmosphere. Come to think of it, I actually have all the equipment to do my own Mobile Movie (MobMov)! Maybe I should become a member?

2 Comments:

Blogger marydorsey said...

This is a great idea! I loved the drive in growing up (yeah, newspapers in the windows, a dozen friends packed into the trunk). The bad part was the sound system, in little boxes that hung on your car window. I think the new technology will be great. No wonder it is making a comeback!!

9:05 PM  
Blogger mary said...

I remember going to the drive-in with my family as a child. Yes, the sound system wasn't the greatest, but the atmosphere was! Going to the movie theater, I always ended up sitting behind someone who was a lot taller than me. At the drive-in, they had these little berms that the front end of the car would pull up onto, and you could see the screen pretty good.

8:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home