Sunday, September 17, 2006

Stefan Sagmeister

Lately, I've been reading a book called "Graphic Design for the 21st Century" , by Charlotte & Peter Fiell. There are many short interviews of various designers around the globe about their thought on design. Stefan Sagmesiter, from New York, is one of them. I found his quote to be very interesting. So, interesting that I had to put the whole thing down! :

"I am mostly concerned with design that has the ability to touch the viewer's heart. We see so much professionally done and well-executed graphic design around us, beautifully illustrated and masterfully photographed, nevertheless, almost all of it leaves me (and I suspect other viewers) cold. There is so much fluff: well produced, tongue-in-cheek, pretty fluff. Nothing that moves you, nothing to think about, some is informing, but still all fluff. I think that the main reason for all this fluff is that most designers don't believe in anything. We are not much into politics, or into religion, have no stand on any important issue. When your conscience is so flexible, how can you do strong design? I've seen movies that move me, read books that changed my outlook on things and listened to numerous pieces of music that influenced my mood. Our goal for the future will be to touch somebody's heart with design." - Sagmeister

I truly agree on all the points he touches on. But as I came to the last of the quote, I couldn't help but feel there was one that he left out: "fear". I think a lot of designers are afraid to design from their heart for a number of reasons. They hold back. I hate to admit it, but I do. I guess I'm a fluffer. :-( Maybe I'll have to change that...

1 Comments:

Blogger mary said...

I went to a presentation by Sagmeister in Chicago last summer and found him to be very compelling and genuine- with a wonderful sense of humor. He has a knack for thinking outside the box and trying things that many of us wouldn't even attempt. Of course, most of his clients have $$$$$$ and can afford it. If you look at some of the work he has done, you will see that it doesn't have the "fluff" factor that he refers to, but a memorable quality. His outlook on life and design are worth reflecting on. Some of my favorite "Stefanisms" are:
• Everything I do always comes back to me
• Trying to look good limits my life
• Thinking life will be better in the future is stupid- I have to live now
• Complaining is silly- act or forget
• Having guts always works out for me

Not all of us have the guts that he does- he pushes limits.

1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home